December 06, 2006

95: A Mighty Handshake

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Illustration Friday's theme of might brought to the forefront of my consciousness an apparent fascination of mine with big hands. One of my very first vector illustrations was that of an angry, stomping man with oversized red fists. There was this I-F submission last winter, for their theme of blue. I laughed out loud at the "giant hands" dream sequence in The Science Of Sleep. "Man Hands" is still my all-time favourite episode of Seinfeld. And now this chap with the, um, lobster claws. But really, the theme just gave me an excuse to exercise some of my big-hands kicks – and as I looked around my desk at work and noticed a wind-up lobster from Prince Edward Island, I had an image that would not leave my brain until I posted this picture here tonight.

It's another drawn-in-pen jobbie, intentionally made to look like cheesy, "businessman on the go" clip art. Assistance from Photoshop and Freehand helped round off the image. You can click here for a closer look at the original pen drawing.

16 comments:

emilayusof said...

Great illo! Love it!

emila yusof
http://emilayusof.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Haha great style and idea.

Anonymous said...

I said craw, not craw......this gave me a giggle

Michelle said...

awesome! love the this in all it's crustaceanness glory! I'm a fan of the man-hands episode too! lol

Brine Blank said...

That's pretty funny...you really did capture the element of cheese!

Michelle Lana said...

hahaha...great idea!!!

Anonymous said...

hilarious! wonderful idea and great illustration style :)

Unknown said...

AWESOME design!

Anonymous said...

ha! I love the mix of good humor and great design, well done!

DavidSniderDesignStudio said...

great illy. funny.

Jeope said...

Thanks, people!

Dave, yes. I should give a little more bathroom-related forethought to my inventions in the future. Hey, how do lobsters go to the bathroom, anyway?

studio lolo said...

OMG I can't stop laughing! I even read this in a very loud voice!

patricia zapata said...

you are mighty with the pen! great idea!

lew! said...

that's great Jeope!

you've got a keen sense of humor, and illustrate it well.

was your suit reference that 70's office card you guys had?

Vonster said...

Jeope I like this one a lot!

Jonathan Cohen said...

One of the characters in the animated series "Frisky Dingo" in fact has lobster claw hands (as a result of a strange sequence of events). His name is Arthur Watley.