January 25, 2010

222: Falcon And The Snowman

Photobucket
Knowing I'd be spending Monday night Creative Night knocking off the tandem workload of my after-hours Dreamweaver class assignment and a noon-hour presentation for my workplace's winter Wednesday travel slideshow series (I'm presenting on Portugal), I took time out yesterday to work on my sculpting skills. I often state my clumsiness in any artistic dealings in the third dimension. Fortunately, my childhood excitement for wintertime "packing" snow takes precedent. Warm winter days of this past weekend's calibre are so rare in these parts – proven quite effectively by today's harsh, blizzardy contrast.


So, given the material at hand, I sculpted this homage to warmer days. I call it Snowman No. 1, with Frisbee, Beer Bottle and Lawn-Chair. It's a mixed media piece, utilizing snow, a frisbee, a beer bottle, and a lawn-chair (the ballcap was a temporary add-on). Today's sudden temperature plummet has nicely solidified the piece, which will now be on display in my front yard/gallery for the remainder of the winter – global warming, territorial dogs and punk kids permitting. Cost is suggested donation. Plan your visit soon; come April the gallery will be installing a new exhibit, titled Rotting Springtime Detritus.

And yes, that is a Falcon Beach frisbee. I don't mind if that gets swiped.

4 comments:

devon spec said...

that is A-mazing.

why would you want that frisbee to get swiped?! it's awesome. (ps, what is falcon beach?!)

Jeope said...

Falcon Beach was a short-lived and locally-made TV series aimed at the teenager market:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491601/plotsummary

Melissa said...

He must be very good at frisbee if he can play sitting down.

Anonymous said...

I thought I had accidentally stumbled into Jake's front yard...deenie