November 27, 2006

94: The Mother Of Invention

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I've never had a concept in mind so quickly for Illustration Friday then I did this week; their current theme of invention brought a vision to my head in a matter of seconds. Stuck at work though, I made a quick doodle of it in a notepad (below left) so I wouldn't forget it on the weekend when I had more time. This old lady is my interpretation of the Mother of Invention (as in "Necessity Is..."). And though my original vision was of a cartoony, Far Side-esque comic strip panel, I ended up with something much more complex. I usually intend to do something simple; I just can't seem to help it.


I found some source material through a few Google image searches: a few turn-of-the-century photo portraits for the pose and fashion sense (below right), and obviously the objects in the wall-mounted frames, which I left photographic because they kind of look neater that way. I sketched on Sunday – all in all about two hours or so – and used photos of various textures to fill in the background, like wallpaper and carpet samples and some wood-grain for the baseboard. Be sure to click here for a better look at the whole deal (the web just doesn't do some illustrations justice).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

20 comments:

Emila Yusof said...

Great illustration!

Chickengirl said...

Thanks for showing the process. Its nice to see the source. It turned out great!

Linda said...

Haha great idea and illo I like how you've presented it. bravo!

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

Really terrific work! And thanks for sharing your process. I almost missed the cleverness of what was n your picture frames!

buep said...

I love it! Great illustration!

Diane Duda said...

wow! this is great...so unique!

Michelle Lana said...

Pretty cool! Great!

michael dailey said...

great looking illo and i agree with everyone else nice to see the process.

Alina Chau said...

AWESOME!! Love the concept and the style!

LDahl said...

Very nice concept and presentation. I like how she is holding the toaster and her hair is sticking out... almost like she had done a bit of experimenting with that appliance and had gotten a shock. Come to think of it she does look shocked... just like most moms at one point or another.
I really like the work you have done!!

tusen said...

Great idea! I love the way you made it look like an old photo.

Drazen said...

very cool
and kinda scary

Lu*** said...

Curious illo! loe it! great

saludos

mrs. b. said...

creepishly fantastic! love the frank's monster framed! too wonderful!

Mary said...

I especially love the concept behind this one!

Melissa said...

Love it! This might be my favorite so far.

Brine Blank said...

Uh-oh...we might think alike...great compilation..(and I finally got your comment posted on the anime' deal...it didn't take the first time...)

Jeope said...

Thanks for commenting, everyone – it was a good theme for getting the creativity going. There's some really cool submissions out there this week.

Roland Mechael said...

classic illustration!

maeengan said...

BRILLIANT! It cuts soo sharply and vividly.