January 12, 2005

I'm Gonna Die

A blizzard closed the office early today, and my carpool had to navigate home this afternoon through some terrible conditions. Seven of us sardined ourselves into an Astro-Van and made the slow trek back to Winnipeg.

Bad news! The van was rear-ended. Good news! It's a company van.

By the way, it's astounding how much easier this situation is when it's not your own vehicle.

But in a moment of complete and utter irony (maybe it's not irony, I dunno. Me and Alanis can never get it straight), CBC happened to play this little cherry only minutes before…

You'll Have Time (William Shatner/Ben Folds)

Live life like you're gonna die,
because you're gonna.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news,
but you're gonna die.


Maybe not today or even next year,

but before you know it, you'll be saying
"Is this all there was? What was all the fuss?
Why did I bother?"

Now, maybe you won't suffer. Maybe it's quick,
but you'll have time to think,
“Why did I waste it? Why didn't I taste it?”
You'll have time, because you're gonna die.

Yes it's gonna happen,
because it's happened to a lot of people I know.
My mother, my father, my loves.
The president, the kings and the pope.
They all had hope.

I tell you who else left us,
passed on down to heaven no longer with us:
Johnny Cash, JFK, that guy in the Stones
Lou Gehrig, Einstein, and Joey Ramone.
Have I convinced you? Do you read my lips?
This may come as news but it's time.
You're gonna die.
You're gonna die.

3 comments:

Mrs. Maria said...

Freaky song to hear at such moment! Nice site! :) Luna from the forum! I'm glad you're okay! I'll keep an eye out for your works and posts!

Allan Lorde said...

"But in a moment of complete and utter irony (maybe it's not irony, I dunno. Me and Alanis can never get it straight)..."
I think that's a coincedence, actually. You doin' alright?

Jeope said...

Yeah, I'm OK. My neck is stiff, but I think my pillow is the culprit there. A couple of co-workers have whiplash, but it might be more of a 'Friday whiplash'. Knowhutimsayin'?